This book has been authored by Shaykh ul Islam Abul ‘Abbaas Ahmad Ibn Abdul Haleem Ibn Abdus Salaam Ibn Taymiyah al Harraanee was born in the year 661 AH and died in the year 728 AH. He was born in Bahrain and travelled to Damascus where he spent majority of his life at the age of seven.
Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyah was born into a family of scholars; both his father and grandfather were great scholars of their time. Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyah (rahimahullah) studied the Qur’aan, Hadith and Hanbali fiqh at a young age such that he became a professor of Islamic studies at the age of 19. His preference lay in tafseer and it is said that he read over a hundred commentaries of the Qur’aan.
Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyah (rahimahullah) was a Mujaahid by both the sword and by the pen. He was foremost amongst those who marched forth for jihaad against the Tartaars and he was known for his written works; authoring over 600 books though many of them have been lost. He wrote many works exposing and refuting the many practices which had entered into the Muslim lands and till this day his works are being read, studied and taught. Many of his works have alhamdulillah been translated into the English language.
Amongst his famous students are Jamaal ud Deen Al Mizzi, Imam Adh-Dhahabi, Ibn Kathir and Ibn Al Qayyim (rahimahumullah) all of whom have written great works which the Ummah have benefitted greatly from. This shows us the high status of their teacher; Ibn Taymiyah. May Allah shower him with His vast and all encompassing Mercy.
Additional Reading Material:
- Tafsir Ibn Kathir
- Usool At-Tafseer, by Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillip
- Reflecting Upon The Quraan, by Shaikh Saalih Al Fawzaan
- Reasons for the Revelation, by Ibn Ahmad an-Neesaboori
- An Introduction to the Sciences of Qur’aan, by Ahmad Von Denferr
- An Introduction to the Sciences of Qur’aan, by Abu Ammar Yasir Qadhi
- How To Approach & Understand the Quran, by Jamaal al Din Zarabozo
- The History of the Qur'anic Text, by Mustafa Al-Azami
Having studied this course you should consider studying the following:
- Uloom Ul Qur'an
- How to Approach and Understand the Qur'an
- Introduction to Tafsir
- Tafsir ul Qur'an - Surah al Fatiha
- Tafsir ul Qur'an - Surah Yusuf
- Tafsir ul Qur'an - Surah al Noor
- Tafsir ul Qur'an - Surah al Furqan
- Tafsir ul Qur'an - Surah al Ahzab
"My dear brothers and sisters at the Tayyibun Institute in the United Kingdom. I ask Allah (swt) that He grants you success and correction in your affairs and I also ask Allah (swt) that He always brings us together upon righteousness…."
Shaykh Abu Salih